Warning

This website contains adult content. If you are less than 18 years of age, please do not read further.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Last Dance of the Damned



Seam of heaven torn,
Sky births sea.
Dropless rain pummels
Without compassion.
Our clothes, our hair, our skin
Saturated.
Our lust insatiate.
Our thirst unquenched.

Violent deluge chokes our sight,
But washes not away the taste of skin.
Entangled, we feast,
To consume one another
Before taken by the sea,
To meet our end
Not with a whimper,
But an orgasmic scream
That almost pushes back the torrent.

For while pure in heart,
We were not in mind nor deed,
And so denied boarding,
Cast away,
Driven, beaten, hammered with invective,
From deliverance-vessel.

Left,
To drown as we revel,
To die as we have lived,
To burn as we have loved.
Lost in the diluvial finish,
The ultimate embrace,
The last dance of the damned.



This image was the subject of a Flash Fiction Friday last month (July 9, 2010).  I didn't participate then because I didn't yet have a blog, but the image was too inviting for me not to write something.  The prompt for the FFF was:
Your challenge for this Friday, 7-9-10, was to use the photo above to write a flash fiction of 48-148 words. I also provided a key phrase for use somewhere in the submission: "...driven, beaten, hammered..."
Image provided by Luna Mauvaise, original source unknown.

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I think I am breathless, or perhaps I only forgot to breathe! Goodness, truly, this is beautiful. It captures soul and surrender, fear and desire.
    I love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jae! I was kind of worried this one was a flop (which, hey, happens sometimes). But I really enjoyed writing it and am pleased with the result. I'm glad that you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture and the poem, bravo!

    ReplyDelete